While a regular visit to the dentist is a good habit, you can still stay on top of your oral health with home remedies. There are natural ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy and disease-free and it’s better to benefit from them. In fact, if you’re game for natural remedies, you are likely to find a powerful treatment at home for any oral problem, be it tooth ache, gum disease, tooth decay, cavities, stains, yellow teeth ulcers, bad breath etc. Similarly, just by improving oral hygiene and adjusting to food habits we can achieve the best of dental health easily.
Here are some of ways to take care of dental health with home remedies –
Home remedies for whiter teeth
For ages, a lot people have been relying on home remedies to achieve whiter teeth naturally. You can also do the same and see the difference to the whiteness and brightness of your teeth without even having to visit a dentist.
You can try some of these home remedies for whiter teeth –
- Use oil pulling method where any oil like sesame, coconut can be put into mouth swishing around for 5-10 minutes before cleaning followed by brushing
- You can also rub the white inside of bananas peel on your teeth and then rinse for desired results
- You can gargle your mouth with apple cider vinegar and whiten and brighten your teeth easily
- By eating vitamin C rich foods you can also whiten your teeth naturally
Home remedies for bad breath
Bad breath is quite a common dental problem which you can easily treat with home remedies. A lot of people know how drinking more water and eating vitamin C rich foods can help them fight off the risk of bad breath.
Follow some of these home remedies for bad breath –
- You can drink 8 to 10 glass of water daily and stay hydrated to minimize the risk of bad breath
- It’s quite possible to remove bad breath by including Vitamin C rich foods in your diet like lemons, oranges etc
- Crunching and munching on apples on a regular basis is also considered good for removing bad breath
- Cinnamon tea, mint leaves (raw) and clove (either chewed raw or its oil) can always work wonders for bad breath
Home remedies for toothache
Toothache is one of few dental problems people almost always rely on home remedies for. Although relying on natural ways to treat toothache, it’s always advised to see a dentist if the pain persists beyond one or two days as it might indicate some deep oral issues.
You can follow some of these home remedies for toothache –
- When you have toothache, chew on a piece of cinnamon, benefit from its antibacterial properties and get some relief at home itself
- Eating garlic raw or putting crushed garlic on the affected tooth can help relieve the pain and benefit you from its antibacterial and analgesic properties
- You can chew on clove or use its powder form directly on the affected area and get relief from toothache
Home remedies for mouth ulcers
In most cases mouth ulcers disappear within two to three days and if not, you can always rely on home remedies for the same. Even if natural remedies may not remove the ulcers completely they can at least help reduce pain significantly. In fact, there are some home remedies that bring mild anaesthetic effect to do the job easily.
You can follow some of these home remedies for mouth ulcers –
- You can chew a few leaves of holy basil with water and make the ulcers go away in a day or two for sure
- You can apply a little honey onto the ulcer site and benefit from the anti-microbial effect and reduce ulcers in a day or two
- You can drink coconut water or put a little amount of its oil on the ulcer site or chew coconut fresh or dry and heal ulcers faster and reduce pain as well
Home remedies to prevent gum disease
A good oral hygiene can always help prevent gum disease and also ensure plaque control. From brushing twice a day to flossing daily to cleaning the tongue, your oral hygiene alone can prove handy if fighting off gum disease.
You can also include following foods in your diet to prevent gum disease –
- Eating whole grains on regular basis can help you keep the risk of gum disease or periodontitis at low levels
- Those who eat green vegetables are less likely to suffer from gum diseases thanks to the antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties present in them
Apart from using home remedies for oral problems. You should also consult dentist Middle Village on a regular basis to get professional advice for your teeth and gums.